For EU, EEA and Swiss nationals, national identity cards and passports only need to be valid for the actual period of the stay in the Finland. You will not need a Finnish visa if you are a citizen of a Nordic country or EU Member State. Similarly, no Finnish visa is required if you are a citizen of a visa-free country and you have a valid passport or comparable travel document. Even if you did not need a visa to visit Finland, you need a valid passport or some other travel document accepted by Finland. It must be valid for at least ninety days after your intended date of departure from the Schengen area. In addition, the passport or other travel document must have been issued no later than ten years ago. In case you do not need a visa, you can stay in Finland or in the territory of other Schengen state for ninety days in any 180-day period.
Non-EEA citizens who qualify for a visa exemption are allowed only to stay for a maximum of 90 days in a 180 day period within the Schengen zone (including Finland) as a whole. If you intend to reside in Finland for other purposes, you have to apply for a residence permit.
Where and how to apply for a visa?
You will need to apply for a visa from either your nearest Finnish mission or the visa centre that the mission advises you to go to. Honorary consuls and consulates cannot grant visas. It has been agreed with some countries that Finland may be represented by another Schengen state. In such cases, apply for a visa to Finland from the mission of that Schengen state. You can apply for the Finnish Schengen Visa since 2001 when Finland as an EU Member State also became a member state of the Schengen Area. You may apply for a visa outside Finland from a Finnish embassy operating under the Ministry for Foreign Affairs of Finland. Finnish embassy also makes decisions on the granting of visas.
Information on visa application, period of validity and visa fees can be found on the website of the Ministry for Foreign Affairs of Finland.
Submit your visa application at a mission or visa centre in person. An application cannot be sent by e-mail or fax. Visa application forms available to download here.
General required documents for a Finnish Visa Application
Firstly, you will need to download the application form and fill it in, you will also need the following documents to attach to your application form.
- two passport format photos;
- valid passport;
- copies of previous visas (valid for at least 3 months beyond return date);
- a copy of your return-ticket reservation, travel medical visa insurance confirmation of minimum 30,000€ coverage within Finland and the entire Schengen area;
- a cover letter stating the purpose of visit to Finland and itinerary;
- a copy of your return-ticket reservation with dates and flight numbers specifying entry and exit from Finland;
- proof of an accommodation for the whole duration of the intended stay in Finland;
- proof of civil status (marriage certificate, birth certificate of children, death certificate of spouse, ration card if applicable);
- means of subsistence (proof of sufficient financial means for the period of stay).
As you are employed, you will also need the following documents:
- employment contract;
- current bank statement of the latest 6 months;
- leave permission from employer;
- Income Tax Return (ITR) form or Certificate of Income Tax deducted at the source of salary are required.