Dutch Work Permit
EU/EEA countries citizens
For citizens of EU/EEA countries, you are allowed to travel and work freely throughout the EU including The Netherlands and no work permit required. After arriving in The Netherlands, it is necessary to register yourself at the municipality where you live within 3 months. You’ll need to apply for a BSN-number (formerly SoFi-number), without that you cannot work. It is possible to get this number through the municipality in case of having a fixed address. If you haven’t got an address yet, make an appointment at the nearest Tax Office (there are several support points throughout the country.
Citizens of Croatia still need a work permit to be arranged for the first 12 months that they are going to work in The Netherlands.
Non EU/EEA countries citizens
If you are a national from any country outside the EU/EEA then a work permit is required.
There are general options, if the applicant:
- has a partner that lives and works in The Netherlands (expat) – you can be granted permission to work and it will state so on your Residency Card
- has been in The Netherlands for some time and granted permission to stay and to work (in case of marriage to a Dutch citizen or status of a former refugee granted indefinite permission to stay). The Residency Card states then, that you have permission to work
- wants to relocate to The Netherlands for employment, if you’re highly skilled and educated, and under 30 years of age. This usually applies only the case, that the applicant has a higher educational level (BA/Bsc minimum) and except few years of work experience also a particular unique specialization in for example IT, engineering or science with the salary level will be above €3.108, – gross per month (ex. holiday pay).
- want to relocate to The Netherlands for employment, you’re highly skilled and educated, and above 30 years of age. This usually applies only the case, that the applicant has a higher educational level (BA/Bsc minimum) and except few years of work experience also a particular unique specialization in for example IT, engineering or science with the salary level will be above €4.240, – gross per month (ex. holiday pay).
- is a national of Canada, Australia or New Zealand and between 18 and 30 years of age, who can apply for the Working Holiday Scheme in your own country, which will grant you the right to live and work in The Netherlands for limited period of 1 year without a salary criterion.
- is a Graduate student at a Dutch educational institution, on BA/Bsc level or higher, thank to that it is possible to apply yourself for a so called Orientation Year granting a permission to work in The Netherlands for 1 year without any salary criteria.
- has graduated at MA/Msc or Phd level at a top-200 university worldwide, within the last 3 years, then it is allowed to apply for the highly educated ruling granting a permission to work in The Netherlands for 1 year without a salary criterium as with the search year above. Please see the top-200 is derived from one of the 3 lists: Times Higher Education, QS World Universities Ranking or the Academic Ranking of World Universities.
Process of a work permit application
First of all, registration of an application and fee online payment at the Application Portal Norway is necessary. Applications are supposed to be VFS Global Services Pvt. Ltd Visa Application Centres in India – please see contact details and process how to book an appointment at a one of the 9 VFS Global Services Pvt. Ltd in India. Following documents are required for submission – Original (or certified copies) after them being checked, A4 format copy of each of the documents, documents in both English or Norwegian language translated by an authorized translator, and it must be clearly stated who has performed the translation and when.
Once the residence permit is granted, in order to issue the entry visa following documents are essential – passport and a recent passport size photo with a white background and needed to submit to VFS Global Services Pvt. Ltd Visa Application Centre or the Embassy.