How can we help you?

Contact us at Malta office today or submit a request online.

Swedish Work Permit

Citizens of EU/EAA countries

EU citizens are entitled to work in Sweden without a work permit. The Applicant`s family also has the right to join you in Sweden as long as he/she has right of residence in Sweden. When entering Sweden, the applicant and any accompanying family members must have a valid passport or national ID card showing their citizenship.

As a long-term EU resident, which means living in another EU country with a residence permit for at least five years, the applicant qualifies as a long-term resident and can apply, in that country, for a special EU residence permit. This in turn makes it easier to move to another EU country.

Citizens of non-EU/EEA countries

 Citizens from countries outside the EU  need to apply for a work permit in order to be allowed to work in Sweden. There are however a few exceptions to the rules applied for citizens of Australia, Canada, New Zealand and South Korea, aged between 18–30. These citizens  are able to apply for a working holiday visa for up to one year.

Requirements for a work permit

An official offer of employment from a Swedish employer and a valid passport is required. The job has to also have been advertised in the EU/EEA for at least ten days, offer terms of employment that match those set by Swedish collective agreements or those that are customary within the occupation or industry and pay a minimum monthly salary of SEK 13,000 before taxes.

Generally, you will need to apply for your permit before entering Sweden, though in some cases you may be able to apply from within Sweden if you are already legally living in the country.

Work permit applicants need to receive an offer of employment, that must be  approved by a relevant trade union.  The application can then be submitted (either online or through a paper application submitted to the nearest  Swedish embassy or consulate)  A completed application form, copies of the pages of your passport including the photo page  period of validity and whether you have permission to live in countries other than your country of origin (e.g. other visas or residence permits), offer of employment contract and the statement from the trade union – also include the  application fee.

The Migration Agency considers application and informs applicants of its decision. Please see current waiting times.

Where to apply for the work permit?

If an applicant is outside Sweden, he/she can apply electronically on the Migration Agency website or at the Embassy/Consulate in the country where you reside.

For further information, please contact the Embassy or Consulate or The Migration Agency.

Start Contracting in Sweden Guide:

Contracting in Sweden
Contracting in Sweden
 Capital  Stockholm
 Population  Approx.9.9 million
 Language  Swedish
 Currency  1 Krona (SEK) = 100 öre, 1 SEK = 0.1 €
 Government  Constitutional monarchy and Parliamentary democracy